Every year people at work are killed or seriously injured when they come into contact with live overhead electricity power lines. If a machine, ladder, or even a jet of water touches or gets too close to an overhead wire, then electricity will be conducted to earth. This can cause a fire or explosion and electric shock and burn injuries to anyone touching the machine or equipment. An overhead wire does not need to be touched to cause serious injury or death as electricity can jump, or arc.
Amongst the most frequent causes of fires at work is faulty electronic instruments. Once in a while most of these faults are not notable to the untrained eye, and it is fair to state that quite often they are identifiable, nonetheless are not appropriately cared for. There are currently parts of United Kingdom legislation that manage electrical safe practices at the workplace, nonetheless the primary ones are the 'Electricity At Work Regulations 1989.